nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Curious to see if the game got cancelled or not. Looks like Sony is really in the process of evaluating the development of their games (and partner made ones).

Oh oh

BLGReF2.jpg

rnAQiEh.jpg
d33t4De.jpg

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
ugh it sucks that every day there's a new round of layoffs it feels like. hope everyone can find work, soon. I know there are some Deviation Games employees here on Era that I hope weren't impacted

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Sony annual review strikes again. Wonder if the project was cancelled or reworked.

Sucks to all those affected, hope they get back on their feet quickly.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate as this was a promising start up, but also start ups are a huge risk in this climate.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Last Friday was PixelOpus now today is Deviation Games, though no mention on status of their project yet.

Best of luck to those affected, this sucks to see.

Did we ever hear what they were working on? Based on what I saw, it was probably some kind of multiplayer-focused game.
They didn't really say anything at all outside of AAA.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Did we ever hear what they were working on? Based on what I saw, it was probably some kind of multiplayer-focused game.
nothing in particular. But it is a new IP and a studio made up of a lot of ex-COD or ex-FPS game makers, and promised a lot of action and energy. So I think it would be safe to assume it was a FPS MP game of some sort.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
lost a co-founder, now this. what's going on there?

btw would the sony annual review affect a partner studio. they're not owned by sony outright, correct?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so did Sony buy them because the game looked good or because the studio was having troubles?

Edit: Got them confused with Firewalk for some reason. Ignore me.

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
nothing in particular. But it is a new IP and a studio made up of a lot of ex-COD or ex-FPS game makers, and promised a lot of action and energy. So I think it would be safe to assume it was a FPS MP game of some sort.
It involved Mars as well, there was an Easter egg on their website when they went public

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's always the same story; new studio by former "big devs" making the next big AAA project and they all fall apart.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's felt kinda notable that this is the only big startup studio doing a PlayStation exclusive that Sony hasn't bought yet.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That's the dev with PlayStation controllers plastered all around their walls and fancy studio, right?

images

amara

Nov 23, 2021
These start-ups going straight into AAA development always seem destined to fail. Why not make something smaller for your first game

Raigor

May 14, 2020
These start-ups going straight into AAA development always seem destined to fail. Why not make something smaller for your first game

They hire dozens of people in 1-2 years, promising the moon and the next big thing and they constantly fail.

Respawn was the only big success, you could argue Certain Affinity as well (but they are mostly support co-dev studio)

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
whatever happen behind the scene this say their game not going well

hope they get better job

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
This is probably to do with the Sci Fi Shooter that Final Strike Games was developing for Sony.

Reportedly, Sony cancelled the project 2 days ago and it affects Deviation Games as they had a team supporting.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I mean look around some other startups got full on bought out, others secure a ton of funding or partnerships... solid resumes and talent + promising of a big budget game is attractive to investors.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

The problem isn't going into AAA

Typically these start ups are senior level individuals who break off from a well known studio to form their own thinking they have a solid concept to build off of but over time they usually realize studio management wasn't something they accounted for.

The talent is there for AAA, it's just lacking in people who understand how to build a stable workplace and good culture

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i hope laid off people find new work promptly
They hire dozens of people in 1-2 years, promising the moon and the next big thing and they constantly fail.

Respawn was the only big success, you could argue Certain Affinity as well (but they are mostly support co-dev studio)
kojima productions seemed rather successful

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Damn, this sucks. Hate seeing layoffs.

Wonder if this is due to the cancellation of Final Strike's game. I think Deviation was a support studio for them. Could be completely wrong though.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Wow 90 isn't that most of the studio? This is awful I hope they land on their feet

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
90 people is A LOT.

Wishing them all the best, hoping they land on their feet and find new positions elsewhere quickly.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious if Sony is cutting ties and this layoff is the result of funding getting cut off? In any case, this sucks for all those affected.